There are three ways to get materials not owned by Appalachian State University.
- ABC Express (Asheville, Boone, Cullowhee): Search the shared catalog of ASU, UNCA and WCU  and request items to be delivered to ASU within about 2-3 days.
- ILLiad (Interlibrary Loan): Search a worldwide catalog  and request items to be delivered to ASU in up to two weeks.
- Cooperative Borrowing: Travel to other regional university libraries and check out materials in person.
ABC Express is a delivery service operated by WNCLN (the Western North Carolina Library Network - the libraries of Appalachian State University, UNC-Asheville, and Western Carolina University).
If you need a book, journal or other library material that is not held in your library, and one of the other two libraries owns the item, ABC Express can usually have it for you within three days. ABC books are delivered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and may be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
|Request placed by:||Available for pickup at 1st floor circulation desk:|
|Tuesday before 5:00 pm||Wednesday by 1:30 pm|
|Thursday before 5:00 pm||Friday by 1:30 pm|
|Sunday before 5:00 pm||Monday by 1:30 pm|
*This schedule varies due to holidays and the academic calendar. Please check the ABC Express calendar  for more details.
Who is eligible?
Students, faculty, and staff of Appalachian State University, UNC-Asheville and Western Carolina University are eligible to use ABC Express. All other patrons should contact their public libraries regarding interlibrary loan.
- Find the book/journal or film* in the online catalog and display the full record on the screen.
- Click on the "Request" button near the top of the screen.
- Enter name, ID number and pickup location, as prompted.
- Follow screen instructions to submit request.
Be judicious in placing holds. The limit for active holds you can have at one time is ten (10). A hold is active until the item is checked out to you or the hold expires.
*Only faculty are eligible to borrow DVD, films or videos on ABC Express. Due to consortia membership requirements, UNC-A faculty are not eligible to request SASASAAS films .
- All materials are picked up at the Library's Circulation Desk.
- Books, films, videos and DVDs up are held for 7 days at your library's Circulation Desk.
- The loan period for books is 3 weeks, renewals allowed.
- The loan period for films/videos/DVDs is 7 days, no renewals.
- Fines: There is a $.20 per day overdue fine on all materials for all patrons.
- Journals: 48 hour use for faculty, staff, and students. Journals will be held at least 3 working days prior to being returned on an ABC Express run; no renewals allowed. There is a $.50 per hour overdue fine on all journals for all patrons.
- Current (unbound) issues of journals must be requested on a "pink form." Ask for the form at the Reference Desk.
Log in to ILLiad 
- Time Line: It takes anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks to receive materials through Interlibrary Loan (ILL). Please consider this before ordering.
- To avoid delays, provide complete citation information for the materials requested. Requests with incomplete information will be returned for completion, delaying the processing.
- For questions about Interlibrary Loan requests contact the Document Delivery Office  or call 828-262-2826. Please note that ILL material requests are not taken over the phone.
Appalachian State University faculty, staff, and students are eligible to use the Interlibrary Loan Service.
Although this service is free of charge to you, there are costs incurred by the Library. In order for this service to remain free, we ask that you act judiciously and request only those items you will actually use.
How will I be notified?:
- Photocopies of journal articles will be mailed directly to the address listed. They are yours to keep.
- Articles delivered via the Web will remain accessible to you for 15 days after notification has been sent to you of their arrival or until you delete the file, whichever occurs first.
- For articles you have requested from Ingenta, if you requested the article be faxed to the Library, it will be available for you to pick up at the Circulation/Reserve Desk 24 hours after your request. It will not be mailed to you nor will you receive a notification that it has arrived.
- Books/Microformats: Notification of the arrival of books and other materials for loan will be made to your Appalachian State University email address as well as via any email address you have indicated in your ILLiad account. ONLY FACULTY have the option of having materials delivered to their departments. (See Delivery of Library Materials to Faculty Departments  for more information about this service.) [Tip: Do not remove the yellow strap from the material. This is for your benefit, since when the item is returned, the strap alerts staff to the item's source and avoids accruing fines if the material does not make it back to the lending library on time.]
Contact the ILL Office  (828) 262-2826 at least 4 days prior to the due date on the yellow strap.
- Faculty have a limit of 30 active requests.
- Graduate students have a limit of 20 active requests.
- Undergraduates and staff have a limit of 10 active requests.
A request is considered active on submission. A request for an article is no longer active once the item has been forwarded to you. A request for a book or other item checked out to you remains active until the item is returned.
You can travel to and check out materials from any of the 16 University of North Carolina Campuses.
- Prior to traveling to the distant library login to your account  in the library catalog and verify you can see your record. (Questions? Call (828) 262- 2818.)
- To view the general agreement guidelines, view the UNC Cooperative Borrowing Agreement .
- We recommend that you call the library you plan on visiting to clarify any local policies and hours of operation.
- Circulation periods, fines, etc. are all determined by the lending library.
- Your ASU ID is required to check out materials from the lending library.