To join the Friends, print this form  and return by mail.
The Richard T. Barker Friends of the Library, named to honor the University Librarian who served for 20 years in the 1970s and 1980s, is committed to promoting cultural and intellectual endeavors, and to enhancing the Library's resources and services.
Why Support the Library?
The University Library is the academic hub of Appalachian State University, and its resources and services are crucial to the total learning experience. The Library receives more than 1.3 million visits a year, a testament to its importance to the University community and an indication of the challenges we face.
Following is a partial list of Friends activities:
- Acquisition of important new materials for the Library collection
- Annual summer writer's series that brings outstanding writers to campus
- Year-round outreach programs for student, faculty, alumni, donors, and community members
- Annual reception for faculty who published a book in the previous year
- Reception for international students each spring and fall
- Support for the new Children's Literature Symposium, which brings a top children's author or Illustrator to campus each year
How You Can Help
The Library is grateful to have a loyal group of donors committed to supporting Belk Library and Information Commons. But we want to widen the circle to include you as a Friend. Increased private support is essential if we are to maintain the margin of excellence that we have worked so hard to build.
- Library newsletters and other publications
- Invitations to special events
- Library user's card
- Ability to order books online from UNC Press in Chapel Hill at a 25% discount
- Recognition in Library publications
Join the Friends! Make a difference!
Belk Library and Information Commons
Appalachian State University
PO Box 32026
Boone, NC 28608
or contact us now .