The Belk Library and Information Commons Assistive Technologies Room houses technologies to facilitate academic success and provide alternate format access to library materials for users with a variety of vision, hearing, learning, and/or mobility related disabilities.
First Floor, Room 141 across from the reference desk.
- JAWS For Windows - The most popular screen reader worldwide, JAWS for Windows works with your PC to provide access to today’s software applications and the Internet. With its internal software speech synthesizer and the computer’s sound card, information from the screen is read aloud, providing technology to access a wide variety of information, education and job related applications.
- Zoomtext Xtra - The most advanced fully-integrated screen magnifier paired with a screen reader – designed specifically for the computer user with low vision. 2x-16x screen magnification possible.
- Kurzweil 3000 - Kurzweil 3000 is the comprehensive reading, writing and learning software solution for any struggling reader, including individuals with learning difficulties, such as dyslexia, attention deficit disorder or those who are English Language Learners.
- Dragon Naturally Speaking - Voice-activated software that allows the user to dictate into almost any windows-based application quickly and accurately. Without ever clicking your mouse, you can edit a document, control applications and manage your desktop – all through the sound of your voice.
- CCTV - Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) or Video Magnifier is used for someone with low vision. The book, magazine, worksheet, etc. to be looked at is placed under the camera, and then the material is magnified through the camera to be looked at on a screen. The CCTV can do a contrast of black on white or white on black.
- Print Station - The Print station in the Assistive Technology Room is at a height appropriate for patrons in wheelchairs.
The room is open and desk staff can help users get started. To make an appointment for in depth assistance, contact Bryan Estel firstname.lastname@example.org  828.262.6589.