UNC System and Appalachian continue to face budget reductions. Any reduction in the University budget brings a consequent reduction in Library funding. In FY 11/12, the Library's budget experienced a 36 percent reduction of non-personnel funds. To meet the FY 11/12 budget reductions these actions were taken:
- Three library faculty positions in the past three years were eliminated
- Library hours were cut 18%
- Student assistant hours were cut 20%
- Library public computer funding was cut 80%
- Collections (e-resources, databases, books, journals) were cut $1 million (-25%)
It is likely that the FY 12/13 budget will hold continuing reductions for the University and for the Library. Even in times of steady funding, inflation on databases, e-resources, and books averages more than $150,000 per year. These annual inflationary costs are added to any mandated cuts. This website outlines the planned cancellations to accommodate an expected $400,000+ reduction in library funding in the next fiscal year.
Comments and feedback
We encourage comments from faculty, staff, and students on these planned reductions. Please contact your University Librarian Mary Reichel, (email@example.com) , your Collection Management liaison  or John Abbott, Coordinator of Collection Management (abbottJP@appstate.edu ).